Apr 21, 2020

President Buhari Won’t Dream of Making Me Chief-of-Staff –Isa Funtua.

Isamila Isa Funtua. Picture source: mainstream.com.ng
Following the death of President Muhammadu Buhari’s Chief-of-Staff (COS), Abba Kyari on April 18th, a number of successors have been speculated. Among these names, is Ismaila Isa Funtua, a former Minister in the Second Republic.  

When a BBC Hausa reporter contacted Funtua and asked if he knew that his name is getting a mention as a potential COS. This is what he said: “Yes, I have heard.” When asked how he felt after his name was mentioned, Funtua said:

“I felt those people calling my name were not being fair to me. Why? Because I had worked with the Native Authorities, I have worked as a civil servant, and I have been a politician to the point of becoming a minister in this country. It surprises me, today, that some people would link my name to this post. Do people even know what the Chief-of-Staff mean? Is it because that office is being abused, by people doing as they wish? You are talking about a Chief-of-Staff, mind you! How long is it from 1983, when I was a minister?”

The reporter answers, “close to forty years.”

“And you go talking about me getting an appointment?” he continues. “What kind of appointment? I am over-qualified for that job. I am an employer; I have created places of work so that people and their families can find a means of livelihood.”

“But people are making this speculation because of your intimacy with the President,” the reporter insists.

“Many such people are being satanic in their thoughts. You have to look at the things I had done in the past and see whether or not I am over-qualified. They should also consider if I have the chance to work or not. I am overqualified! That type of job is for people like you and our children. And, if people like us will continue to expect the government to give them jobs, where would our own children turn to? Imagine someone like me getting up to go to work by 8.00 am or 9.00 am! Nigerians, we should be fair to ourselves.”

“Would you take the job if President Buhari should offer it to you,” the reporter pushes.


“He himself wouldn’t start, because he knows I wouldn’t take it. If, however, he wants a piece of advice and sets up a committee that brings people like me and younger persons, we could come, advice and find our ways home. But I can’t take a full-time job, taking salaries. I don’t expect this from you, people! Nigeria’s situation hasn’t worsened to that point. The leadership of a nation isn’t like playground matters,” he concludes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FG OF Nigeria Unveil Plans to Launch a New National Identity Card with Payment & Social Service Delivery Capabilities

The Federal Government of Nigeria, through the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) in collaboration with the Central ...